Mar 17, 2011

Film

I have been waiting to write this blog for a very long time. I actually started it last July...

I'm sitting here in my office looking around and something clicks (probably not what you think).

Here’s what I see. I see books- lots:

A World History of Photography
Sally Mann, Immediate Family
Ernst Haas, The Creation
Photographic Printing

I see my old friend, the K1000. Still going strong.
I see late nights writing out notecards filled with images, processes and dates of hundreds of photographers.
Rolls of film stuffed into a Mason jar.

Reminders, memories and signs of it are all around me. Why has it taken me so long to listen?
I love this medium.

Film isn't just something romantic for me. It is the backbone of my photography.

I used to poke fun at my degree, scoff at it since photography is an art that so many I respect have learned on their own. But the time spent in the dark, in the critique and in the intense study of other artists has made me appreciate my film background in a renewed way.




And so today I was looking around my office..



waiting on the UPS truck to show up, I knew that this day would be a turning point in my career as a photographer.






And a new perspective, renewed love of film.

4 comments:

Emily Nielsen March 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

Great pics! I love the way your pics tell your story; Happy St. Patty's day to you indeed!

Kate Crafton Photography March 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

Ahhhhhhh!!! How exciting!!! Congrats!

Anonymous March 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM  

Hi Sarah. I work with Patrick and thought I would visit your website. Started scrolling thru your blog and UPS caught my eye... then the photo --- that's my boyfriend Scott! What a hoot! love it! Michele Phillips

Allan Williams March 19, 2011 at 7:41 AM  

So excited for you. I miss my good old Pentax 6x7...maybe time to start trolling ebay to buy back in. Cannot wait to see your new work with that new beauty. Congratulations!!!

THE GALLERY

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP