Feb 14, 2012

Versatile

This morning, a former editor called explaining she had passed my name along to a colleague who needed a Nashville photographer. She told the client I was "versatile."

"Versatile!" I said. "That's what I am."

Since becoming a freelancer, I have wrestled with my versatility. I have always felt my work needed more focus, a specialty maybe. And maybe it's because when people ask "what do you do?" I don't really have a straight answer.

But after her phone call, I started scrolling through my blog and hard drives to see just what it is I do..



And then I thought.. who says I have to specialize? Do I really need to only focus my energy on just shooting landscapes? People? Animals? Food?

What about all those interesting, different and creative clients I get to meet along the way?

And hey.. what about all that college student loan debt I have... for photography?! Do I turn down good paying work that I am capable of doing because I am trying to specialize?

*ah! a little light bulb just went on in my noggin*

My very wide-ranging clients make my job challenging. Harder, even.
And I find that I always learn ways to make other aspects of my photography stronger by these varying job requirements.

Clean, simple head shots. Equine stock photography. Album cover promos. Fashion. Documentary. Interiors. Exteriors. Babies, families, friends, lovers...

And I don't hit a home run every time, but I do keep trying.




This is what I've come to realize:
I am pretty versatile: capable turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields or endeavors. I'm not winning Pulitzer's here.. I'm not an expert on architectural photography and I don't know how to make ice cream out of Crisco, but I do like variety and I will shoot most anything that interests me (which is a lot of things).

Maybe in the years ahead of me, I'll have the time or luxury of honing in my skills to create truly brilliant (fill in the blank) photography, but for now, I like the variety of my job.

3 comments:

KCP February 15, 2012 at 5:05 AM  

You absolutely are versatile and hella talented. I think it's the photojournalist in you...documenting people in all arenas of life. I personally love that I never know what I'll see next from you. ;)

Anonymous February 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM  

Mmmmmm, beets. :-) Versatile is good. --jennifer goode stevens

Anonymous February 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM  

What you do is capture "moments in time"--all kinds from everyday to "special day", and I have seen very few (more like none) that aren't awesome.sasa

THE GALLERY

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP